mirror date report

I am experimenting with a script that produces a mirror up-to-dateness
report. A cron script runs "date -u > /home/debian/ftp/debian/timestamp.txt"
on "master" once an hour. Another script retrieves that file from each
mirror site in README.mirrors . This information will be used to make a
report of the up-to-dateness of each mirror site. I will put this up
for WWW and FTP access, so that people who want to use FTP can
see which mirrors are current. It may be that a mirror gets the timestamp
and is still not up to date on other files in the archive, but at least
we'll be able to tell that mirrors are running, and we'll be able to contact
their administrators soon after they stall instead of noticing it long
afterward.

I also store the banner page from each FTP site, and I can
make that information available in an FTP directory or via WWW so that
you can see the policies and bulletins of each mirror.

	Thanks

	Bruce
--
Bruce Perens K6BP   Bruce@Pixar.com
Finger bruce@master.Debian.org for PGP public key.

This message was delayed because the list mail delivery agent was down.