Re: A Standard for Console Messages

On Sat, 21 Dec 1996, Marek Michalkiewicz wrote:

> > I was working on a draft for a standard for the console messages. The
> > intension was to get a unique style for all messages displayed at system
> > bootup and shutdown. I posted a new version just before 1.2 was released
[snip]
> > a look and it seams that we only have to fix the start-stop-daemon script
>
> Speaking of which - are there any chances to use the C replacement that
> I wrote a few months ago?  It seems to work fine for me, is much faster,
> and allows the system to start even if something bad ever happens to that
> big perl binary...  (perl is nice for various system maintenance tasks,
> but to be safe I'd rather not use it in critical startup scripts)

This sounds very intresting. Are there any reasons why we can't use this
one? I would like to have a look at it, test it and make the changes to
apply to our new standard. Perhaps you can make some .tar.gz file out of
it that contains the source+Makefile (plus readme if you have one :-) and
upload it into project/experimental.

I would suggest a few of us try this and if there are no problems we
should ship this instead of the perl script.

Did you implement all features of the old script so we could just use it
as a drop-in replacement?

Thanks,

Chris

--          _,,     Christian Schwarz