Re: Glibc Packaging Issues

I've been keeping out of this, because I'm no authority on the issue, but...

miquels@cistron.nl (Miquel van Smoorenburg) writes:
> According to David Engel:
> > Ugh!  I hadn't looked into that yet, but I feared it might cause a
> > problem.  As far as I can tell, this is the same crypt that is used in
> > libc5.  Does anyone know why there isn't (or if there should be) an
> > export problem with libc5?
>
> There is, but everyone ignores it. I've asked the same question at least
> 2 times on this list, but never got an answer from anyone.. Most people
> probably think "well as long as we're getting away with it"..

I'm *sure* I've seen this issue addressed on this list.  I seem to recall
that the argument was that the crypt used in libc5 is essentially a one-way
hash function, rather than a two-way cryptographic function, and thus not
covered by the export restrictions.

I'll have a rummage 'round the archives and see if I can dig up the relevant
message(s).

				Warwick