Re: Glibc Packaging Issues

From: david@elo.sw.ods.com (David Engel)
> I wasn't aware that H.J. was going to distribute a version.  I thought
> he was only going to help test and maintain it for Linux.  Wasn't the
> main point of going to glibc was to have one version maintained by the
> FSF?

OK. Then it's the glibc2 package, and the 2 doesn't match the soname, and
I guess we can live with that.

> I'm not sure what getconf is.  As far as I can tell, it queries the
> system for various POSIX-related parameters.

It's a shell tool to return max pathname length, max open FDs per process,
etc. It's probably a user-level utility.

Regarding nsswitch.conf, please send me one if you'd like me to put it in
base-files.

> > 4. Glibc provides the locale and localedef programs and the locale
> > data files.  How should these be packaged?  [New locale package?]
>
> Again, split between normal and -dev packages by function.

> I don't understand what you are suggesting.

Put what the user would use in glibc2-bin, and the developer stuff in
glibc2-dev.

	Bruce
--
Bruce Perens K6BP   Bruce@Pixar.com