Re: Glibc Packaging Issues

Bruce Perens writes:
> From: david@elo.sw.ods.com (David Engel)
> > I wasn't aware that H.J. was going to distribute a version.  I thought
> > he was only going to help test and maintain it for Linux.  Wasn't the
> > main point of going to glibc was to have one version maintained by the
> > FSF?
>
> OK. Then it's the glibc2 package, and the 2 doesn't match the soname, and
> I guess we can live with that.

OK.

> > I'm not sure what getconf is.  As far as I can tell, it queries the
> > system for various POSIX-related parameters.
>
> It's a shell tool to return max pathname length, max open FDs per process,
> etc. It's probably a user-level utility.

OK, so where does it belong?  I wonder if we could convince the GNU
folks to put it in one of their *utils packages.  In case you hadn't
figured it out yet, I'm trying to avoid a catch-all glibc2-bin package
unless it's absolutely necessary.

> Regarding nsswitch.conf, please send me one if you'd like me to put it in
> base-files.

OK, here you go, straight from the glibc source:

# /etc/nsswitch.conf
#
# Example configuration of GNU Name Service Switch functionality.
#

passwd:         db files
group:          db files
shadow:         db files

hosts:          files dns
networks:       files dns

protocols:      db files
services:       db files
ethers:         db files
rpc:            db files

netgroup:       db files

> > > 4. Glibc provides the locale and localedef programs and the locale
> > > data files.  How should these be packaged?  [New locale package?]
> >
> > Again, split between normal and -dev packages by function.
>
> > I don't understand what you are suggesting.
>
> Put what the user would use in glibc2-bin, and the developer stuff in
> glibc2-dev.

I'd like to keep the locale and timezone sruff separate for a couple
of reasons.  First, they aren't absolutely required and do take up
some space.  Second, they are supposed to be independent of libc so
multiple major versions of libc could share them.

David