Re: Problems with TeX!

On Wed, 18 Dec 1996, John Goerzen wrote:

> Hi,
>
> There seem to be some serious problems with TeX.  I am trying to use
> T1-encoding (common for international formats).
>
> I made sure that  I had all the necessary packages installed.
>
> First, I had to make some modifications on a file in the /usr/lib/texmf/web2c
> directory.  It then turns out that it was trying to make 1200-point fonts
> instead of 12-point fonts!  I found no way around this one automatically.  I
> had to manually generate the necessary 12-point fonts before it would work.
>
> I am curious -- will such a thing as ntex ever be packaged for Debian?

I'm, together with Dominik Eberlein, working on a new TeX for Debian. We
are currently checking whether we should use teTeX or NTeX or stick to our
own version. (If you don't know about that: there was a discussion here on
debian-devel on "the future of Debian TeX" a few weeks ago.)

It isn't that easy just to repackage NTeX or teTeX: the sources of both
distributions are far from being compliant to our Policy and both packages
are developed by a single person (which is not a debian developer). So the
only way of getting such a distribution into Debian is to work together
with these guys and change their existing source so that we can generate
our deb's (by calling debian/rules) or the old NTeX or teTeX distribution
(for all other unices). But then, this might be more work to keep to our
old distribution.

Another posibility is to start with, say tetex, and continue ourselves. Of
course we could just check whenever Thomes Esser (author of tetex) is
changing a bit if that is ok for us too and we could incorporate his
changes into our system.

I'll post here if there's something now on this subject. Hope this is the
end to the lots of emails I get now on this. (There was a discussion here,
already.)

Thanks

Chris

--          _,,     Christian Schwarz