Re: /usr/share no longer deprecated?

[ Please don't Cc: me when replying to my message on a mailing list. ]

David Engel:
> FWIW, I'm starting to look at packaging glibc (aka libc6) and it wants
> to put locale and timezone files in /usr/share also.

Unless I've misunderstood, /usr/share is part of FSSTND 1.2 (the
current one), but deprecated. In particular:

	One note: no program should ever reference anything
	in /usr/share.	For instance, a manual page program
	should never directly look in /usr/share/man/man1/ls.1,
	but it should refer to /usr/man/man1/ls.1 at all times.
	Anything in /usr/share will be "pointed to" by the
	use of symlinks from other areas in the filesystem,
	such as /usr/man, /usr/lib/<something>, etc.

The next revision of the FSSTND (which will be called FHS) will
have much better specifications for /usr/share. The FHS is not
yet finished, but rumour has it that it should be done before
we make the next freeze.

Should we start adapting to the FHS now, or wait until it has
been officially released? Daniel, are you reading this, and do
you have an opinion?