Re: Problems with 1996-11-28 disk set

On 5 Dec 1996, Kai Henningsen wrote:

> johnie@netgod.tln.lib.mi.us (Johnie Ingram)  wrote on 04.12.96 in <[🔎] 199612050211.VAA07314@netgod.tln.lib.mi.us>:
>
> > At that point, cfdisk messed up the partition table, correctly writing
> > only the first nine partitions (around 2 GB) of a 4.036 GB disk.
> > Subsequent attempts to run it produced "FATAL ERROR: Cannot seek on
> > disk drive."
>
> There is a bug report on this (cfdisk on >4GB disks) that says how to fix
> the cfdisk source (it's easy, fdisk already has the fixes).
>
> In short, cfdisk has trouble whenever it has to seek beyond the 4GB mark.
> (It *might* have problems even after 2GB, but I don't think so.)

It is also not able to initialize a new disk WITHOUT any partition table.
This is causing a lot of problems for prople trying to install on new
disks.

Mike

Michael Neuffer                i-Connect.Net, a Division of iConnect Corp.
mike@i-Connect.Net             Home of the Debian Master Server.
mike@debian.org                14355 SW Allen Blvd., Suite 140
503.641.8774                   Beaverton, OR 97005

--
This message was delayed because the list mail delivery agent was down.