Re: Upcoming Debian Releases

Here's my two cents.  I'm primarily an end user -- I have 2
Debian machines using the buzz-fixed distribution, and
1 using the bo distribution.

I say go with XFree3.2 and put it in Debian 1.2.  But delay
Debian 1.2 for approximately a month.  It doesn't do the
normal end user (newbie) any favours by putting out a system
that has all sorts of broken dependencies.  My experience tells
me that it takes several months to figure out how to make
use of all the documentation, bug lists, mailing lists, etc.

So it's best to put a stable distribution in "stable".

Most end users don't know about the development schedule and
don't care.  But they will be looking for a Debian 1.2 that
is significantly more stable and improved than Debian 1.1.

If they really need XFree 3.2, they should use "frozen".

I think that the security bug in the XFree 3.1.2 distribution
should be fixed and placed into "buzz-fixed".  I know that
this is more work, but if we want a stable useable system,
we're going to have to deal with a "development branch",
and a "release branch".  That means doing minor bug fixes.

Perhaps, if a package is too big an unweildy for the
maintainer to work on both the development branch and the
release branch at the same time, we should use two
maintainers.  ie.  Someone could volunteer to do bug
fixes to the released branch of the software, other than
the main maintainer.

Just a thought,

 - Jim