Re: Upcoming Debian Releases

> From: "Brian C. White" <bcwhite@verisim.com>
> > This diminishes the benefits of push 3.2 even further.  If we
> > delay Rex by one month, then "stable" users are stuck with the
> > buggy X for only one more month.
>
> Do you really think we slip an entire month if we put X 3.2 in place?
> We can not make a release with a known security bug.  We either have to
> rebuild X 3.1 with a patch or ship with X 3.2 .

If you want X3.2 _and_ a stable system?  Easily.  The dependancy problems
alone will take weeks to get fixed since they involve many maintainers.
Some of those fixes will be incorrect and cause further bugs that need
to be fixed.  Then there's all the little bugs in X3.2 that are bound
to crop up.

> We can not make a release with a known security bug.  We either have to
> rebuild X 3.1 with a patch or ship with X 3.2 .

Here is where we differ.  I don't like releasing it as such, but I
honestly believe that those people who use "stable" will not be at
much risk from this hole.

                                          Brian
                                 ( bcwhite@verisim.com )