Re: Release

From: "Brian C. White" <bcwhite@verisim.com>
> In fact, I even suggested that you do it.  You said you didn't
> have time.

That's right. In fact, when the code freeze started, I didn't even
have a computer! Everything was in packing boxes.

> I told you in the beginning that you cannot give responsibility without
> also giving authority.  As project leader you of course have final say on
> everything that happens.  But, as president of my own company, I can tell
> you that exercising such authority is generally not a good idea.

That's why I held off as long as possible. Possibly too long.

> I made mistakes in doing this too.  The "code freeze" was supposed to
> be the start of the beta testing.  I should have annouced this as
> official beta, but I didn't.

You also didn't have all of the pieces in place at the time of the code
freeze.

> I never wanted to release an unreliable system.  My goal is (was?) to
> get Debian into a resonably fixed release schedule that the users can
> depend upon.

A fine goal, and one you've come very close to achieving.

> Rex works as it is.

Except that cold installs don't work too well. Upgrades work great.

> Adding X3.2 will just delay it by at least a month.

I was hoping that would not be the case. How many shared library
dependencies need to be changed? Can we provide a stub package to link
the old dependency names to the new ones? Do packages linked to 3.1 not
work with the libraries in 3.2?

> If you don't want me to manage the distribution, then just say so and
> I'll resign.  Just let me know one way or the other.  But, coming to me
> on the last day to say "delay it because..." just isn't acceptable.
> Nobody even _asked_ me.

Don't resign. Do be willing to bend. I would not have taken any action
except that it was clear that some responsible people were screaming for
action. You have a few real show-stoppers in 1.2 . At least one real serious
security bug, in the core of X, not in a package that we can dispense with,
and some stuff that needs more testing. At that point, the clock takes second
priority to delivering a product that won't ruin your reputation. So please
help chart what we are going to do now, and let me deal with our public
perception.

	Thanks

	Bruce
--