Re: Release

Bruce Perens wrote:
>I am taking over control of the release from B.C. White. We are going to
>do additional testing until we're sure the release works the way we like
>it. We are not going to release a system that's unreliable in any way.

Originally, I offered to do this because _nobody_ was managing the release
schedule.  In fact, I even suggested that you do it.  You said you didn't
have time.

I told you in the beginning that you cannot give responsibility without
also giving authority.  As project leader you of course have final say on
everything that happens.  But, as president of my own company, I can tell
you that exercising such authority is generally not a good idea.

I made mistakes in doing this too.  The "code freeze" was supposed to
be the start of the beta testing.  I should have annouced this as
official beta, but I didn't.  That was my mistake and something I planned
to correct for the next time.  On the other hand, though, the calendar
for "release" has been anounced every week for 6 weeks.  Nobody said a
single word about "missing beta" until today (the release date).  Nobody
has an excuse that "they didn't know".

I never wanted to release an unreliable system.  My goal is (was?) to
get Debian into a resonably fixed release schedule that the users can
depend upon.  Rex works as it is.  Of course it's not perfect.  Of course
it has bugs.  Adding X3.2 will just delay it by at least a month, forcing
users to use the aging Buzz with all its problems (including the Xt
security hole).

If you don't want me to manage the distribution, then just say so and
I'll resign.  Just let me know one way or the other.  But, coming to me
on the last day to say "delay it because..." just isn't acceptable.
Nobody even _asked_ me.

                                          Brian
                                 ( bcwhite@verisim.com )