Re: depends for *exact* upstream matches?

> It'll work, but might be thwarted.  What if gcc releases 2.7.2.1.1?
> After all, they released 2.7.2.1 after 2.7.2.  In addition to the
> above dependency, you can check in the postinst.

Good point, in general -- though in this case, I think I have enough
context to expect the next release to either be 2.7.2.2 (unlikely) or
2.8.0 (not soon :-)  So, instead, I think I'll file a suggestion that
dpkg --compare-versions only compare the upstream part if that's all
that is given for an = comparison...