Re: Please do not use Qt (fwd)

-- I'm posting this a second time since I think the first time I
   posted, it got nuked by the spam filter.  Pretty neat though,
   where'd you get the spam filter from, Bruce?  - Jim

> Jim Pick:
> > We may be a little bit hypocritical here though.  I noticed that we
> > have at several packages in the central distribution that is
> > staticly linked against Motif.

Lars:
> Yes, programs that depend on Motif for compilation should not
> go into the main distribution, IMHO. Using Lesstif is quite
> OK. Could you file bug reports?

Sure.  But first, I'd like to check to see if the applications will
work with lesstif.  Maybe we'd be able to get rid of some of those
staticly-linked Motif apps (if they work with lesstif).

However, I'm going to be fairly busy in the next few weeks, travelling
and such.  Plus, I really have no experience with X programming, so
I may be a bit slow in figuring out lesstif.  It looks like it may
be a bit of work testing out these apps with lesstif -- does anybody
else want to help out?

Also, what is the recommended way of declaring dependencies for apps
which use Motif and work with lesstif?  What if the user has the
real Motif libraries?  Is there a virtual package?

Cheers,

 - Jim