installation of suid binaries by dpkg &c.

I think that the mechanisms that have been proposed are interesting,
and do meet a real need.

However, I think they're way too complicated.

I propose the following arrangement instead: that there be a
configuration file for dpkg which can override installed packages'
idea of what ownerships and permissions files should have.

When you chown a binary you just add the name of the file to this
configuration file, and the next time dpkg updates the binary it will
copy the old permissions rather than using the ones from the package.

The configuration file doesn't need to contain the actual permissions
and ownerships desired for the files it lists.

Comments ?

Ian.