Re: I like what Debian is trying to do.

On Thu, 21 Nov 1996, Edward Ing wrote:

> process. Secondly, I like the way FreeBSD has organized the software
> packages and the package installation/uninstallation tools, and
> organized the auxillary software into a ports collection with
> a set of "make" skeletons (which even ftp to get the required sources.)
>
> The organzation of your distribution is reaching an equally well
> thought-out state. The FreeBSD distribution process, and its
> development/research structure can serve as a good model for Linux
> development to improve your distribution.
>
> My concerned for Linux (Slackeware linux was actually the first free
> UNIX which I started with) is that the many variants are leading it to
> the way of the BSD-SystemV-AIX-HP-UX-you-name-it schism. I really
> appreciate what Debian is trying to do for the free-UNIX world and
> hope that it will not be too stubborn, but use the FreeBSD distribution
> and development structure as a model and integrate it into the
> advantageous aspects of Debians existing package managment system.

I very much agree with him on the topic of the organization of the
distribution.

We should try to reach a point where we have one source tree
that can be compiled completely from one main make which then starts
makes in the subtrees etc.

If we can get it to a point where we can autmatically recompile the whole
system with itself once a week or so and then automatiacally new packages
from that, we will have reached in this area a point that equals
professional "distibutions" like SCO, Solaris and NT.

This will be hard work but it is the only way to ensure that all packages
have been build on a uniform reference platform and that all source
packages are indeed buildable. Today the machines of all the developers
are so much customized that it is not possible to build all packages
on a machine that was just installed with a current version of Debian.

Mike

Michael Neuffer                i-Connect.Net, a Division of iConnect Corp.
mike@i-Connect.Net             Home of the Debian Master Server.
mike@debian.org                14355 SW Allen Blvd., Suite 140
503.641.8774                   Beaverton, OR 97005