Re: Remember the gzip-compress link?

'Kai Henningsen wrote:'

>My ISP just converted from a severely hacked Slackware to Debian. The gzip-
>compress link caused lost mail & news for several people ... :-(

I've converted 4 Slackware systems to Debian and never ran into this
problem.  What happened?

Saving news is almost a lost cause.  It was for me (a relatively
inexperienced news admin).  The first 3 conversions had no trouble
with mail.  Murphy said the fourth would have a problem :(  It turned
out the test account I used had a .procmailrc that blew up causing me
to mistakenly believe that sendmail was toast - arrgh.  Worse the test
account was my(!) cjf account (wipes egg off face).

>(And this in turn caused some very hard feelings about Debian. I can
>understand them.)

I'm still not sure I can recover the lost pride and guru-status for
not seeing the .procmailrc problem without a 2 hour break.

These conversions are much more complicated than I had thought -- TAKE
NOTE!

--
Christopher J. Fearnley            |    Linux/Internet Consulting
cjf@netaxs.com, cjf@onit.net       |    UNIX SIG Leader at PACS