Re: Compress in Debian.

Mark Eichin <eichin@cygnus.com> writes:

> The X consortium has patches (which probably won't appear until
> X11R6.3) which fix this (permitting gzip-compressed fonts, using
> zlib.)  That would solve the problem for real.  If someone wants to
> try shipping a debian X release with this support in it, I can
> forward my original version of the changes...

Nevertheless, Debian should not link `compress' to `gzip'.

 * it yields unexpected behavior
 * it breaks programs that use compress

It's nice that X11R6 can use gzip, but I expect the X11R6 Makefiles
run `gzip' and not a `compress' binary masquerading as `gzip'.

--
Daniel Quinlan <quinlan@pathname.com>  |  finger quinlan@pathname.com for PGP
quinlan@transmeta.com (at work)        |  http://www.pathname.com/~quinlan/