Re: Remember the gzip-compress link?

cjf@netaxs.com (Chris Fearnley)  wrote on 19.11.96 in <199611192214.RAA18286@unix3.netaxs.com>:

> 'Kai Henningsen wrote:'
> >
> >My ISP just converted from a severely hacked Slackware to Debian. The gzip-
> >compress link caused lost mail & news for several people ... :-(
>
> I've converted 4 Slackware systems to Debian and never ran into this
> problem.  What happened?

What I already explained: packing UUCP packets with gzip and feeding them
into machines expecting to be able to unpack with a real compress doesn't
work.

Why would anybody expect otherwise?

> Saving news is almost a lost cause.  It was for me (a relatively

Huh?! I'm not talking about news getting lost at the ISP site - I'm
talking of it getting lost at the *customer* site!

MfG Kai