Setuid

I'm sorry to say this but I am extremely unimpressed by the attitude
of certain developers to setuid programs.

I propose that we institute a stricter policy regarding setuid-root
code.

Some requirements I think might be useful, individually or in
combination would be:

* Code must have been written with the intent that it would be setuid.

* Code must be reasonably widely-used in the world at large.

* Code must be reviewed (possible alternative to widespread use?)

* Approval required by a security-conscious person that conditions
have been met.

* No practical solution available other that setuidness.  (This
condition should _not_ be sufficient.)

* Executable-only-by-group used to allow installation without risk of
compromise (appropriate for some kinds of program).

Ian.