What is a base package?

Christoph Lameter <clameter@waterf.org> writes:

> I dont know why but syslinux is in the base system. I think it should be
> optional but that would make a change to the base system which I dont
> think I can make alone. Any opposition to making syslinux optional?

Actually, I'd like to have a more formal definition of what a base
package is.  It's obviously not simply what's on the base disks as
netbase, netstd, dpkg-ftp are on the disks and in the net directory.

Maybe it should be exactly those packages that have required priority?
That seems to make more sense.  Opinions anyone?