Re: Wanted: converter of HTML links

Vincent Renardias writes:
> On Tue, 12 Nov 1996, David Engel wrote:
> > There was an effort quite some time ago to add selective, automatic,
> > invisible, file compression for ext2fs.  Unfortunately, I think it's
> > been abandoned.  It would be usful for /usr/doc, /usr/etc, /usr/man,
> > etc.
>
> 	Actually, there's a patch allowing to do this on a whole ext2fs
> filesystem,

I know about this, but I don't think it's the right approach.

> but Remy Card (the ext2fs maintainer) told it should be included
> in the kernel with an attribute allow compression selectively to directories.

That was the original plan and Stephen Tweedle was even working on it.
However, he must have given up on it at some point because in the last
email I had from him, he advocated some form of user-mode solution
rather than a kernel one.

David