Re: Wanted: converter of HTML links

[ Please don't Cc: me when replying to my message on a mailing list. ]

David Engel:
> There was an effort quite some time ago to add selective, automatic,
> invisible, file compression for ext2fs.  Unfortunately, I think it's
> been abandoned.  It would be usful for /usr/doc, /usr/etc, /usr/man,
> etc.

Indeed it would, but it will probably take quite a while until it is
implemented. In the mean time, I suggest the following:

	a) HTML is installed compressed
	b) Links to compressed are converted from .html to foo.html.gz
	   (this is required so that the pages can be browsed via the
	   filesystem, without a web server).
	c) The web servers are configured so that they automatically
	   uncompress .html.gz (this is required so that the pages can
	   be browsed via the web server using a Windows client)

This requires writing a tool for converting the links, of course.