Re: What architecture are we?

Brian C. White <bcwhite@verisim.com> writes:

> Perhaps it should be suggested to the compiler group that GCC have
> separate options for "optimization" and "instruction set".  That way
> you could "optimize for 486 but be sure to run on 386".

There aren't any 486 or 586 optimizations that cause GCC code to fail
on 386 machines.  Search for "-m386" in the GCC Info pages:

  `-m486'
  `-m386'
       Control whether or not code is optimized for a 486 instead of an
       386.  Code generated for an 486 will run on a 386 and vice versa.

There are some other options that will speed up performance on 586
machines, but I'm not as keen on those.

--
Daniel Quinlan                  http://www.pathname.com/~quinlan
quinlan@pathname.com            quinlan@transmeta.com (at work)