Re: New Package: defrag 0.6-1

On Sat, 9 Nov 1996, Daniel Quinlan wrote:

> Christoph Lameter writes:
>
> > Package: defrag
> > Architecture: i386
> > Depends: ${shlibs:Depends}
> >  As a file system is used, data tends to become more and more scattered
> >  over the disk, degrading performance.  A disk defragmenter simply
> >  reorganises the data on the disk, so that individual files occupy a
> >  single sequential set of disk blocks, and all the free space on the
> >  disk is collected together in a single region.  This generally means
> >  that reading a whole file is more efficient.
>
> Please note in this description that fragmentation is generally not a
> problem in ext2, the default filesystem for Debian Linux.

Unless you fill up a partition at some point, then the only way to
defrag the partition is to back it up and then restore it. A way to force
defragmenting would be very nice to do if you want to do it. I have a
filesystem on my computer that is about 15% fragmented. Instead of doing a
backup and then a restore it would nice if I could just do a defragment on
it.

This defragment binary though doesn't work on my system.