Re: Debian package scripts

From: Daniel Quinlan <quinlan@proton.pathname.com>
> The current behavior where upgrades can cause interruptions in service
> without allowing for administrator intervention is a problem.
> `start-stop-daemon' is an excellent program, but upgrade scripts
> should not be so cavalier about running it.

There are more important problems with dpkg that we should be
dealing with before we get to interruption-of-service. Any work that we
do on dpkg at this point should be on ease-of-use issues in its user
interface. This is the number one problem with Debian, and if Debian fails
or succeeds the dpkg user interface will be the reason.

[...]

> On average, this wastes 512 bytes of disk space.

Dan, if you would like to work on DPKG, it would be an awful shame for you
to be dealing with this sort of fine-tuning of its internals at this point
in time. User interface has about 100 times the priority of the issues you
raised. Please change your direction and look at that.

	Thanks

	Bruce
--
Bruce Perens K6BP   Bruce@Pixar.com