Re: What architecture are we?

> > It seems that some packages use the architecture "i386-linux" while others
> > use "i486-linux".  Can we have a policy on this?  Perl just switched from
> > one to another and is breaking things.
>
> This is very definitely a bug, probably in the perl package and not in
> some tool used to build it. Please file it now.
>
> The architecture of your platform is the one returned by
>
>         dpkg --print-architecture
>
> If this is not sufficiently documented in the DPKG Programmer's Manual
> or the Debian Policy Manual, we need to add text.

Apparently it is not.

# dpkg --print-architecture
i386

# find / -xdev -type d -name "i386-*" -print
/usr/lib/perl5/i386-linux
/usr/lib/emacs/19.34/i386-debian-linux
/usr/local/lib/site_perl/i386-linux

# find / -xdev -type d -name "i486-*" -print
/usr/lib/gcc-lib/i486-linux
/usr/lib/perl5/i486-linux
/usr/lib/i486-linuxaout
/usr/X11R6/lib/i486-linuxaout