Date: Tue, 29 Oct 1996 00:27:35 -0500 (EST)
From: Jacques Gelinas <jack@solucorp.qc.ca>
To: Shaya Potter <spotter@itd.nrl.navy.mil>
Subject: Re: Porting linuxconf to Debian?

On Mon, 28 Oct 1996, Shaya Potter wrote:

> There has been much concern in the debian-devel mailing list, over
> linuxconf taking over the entire boot process.  Everybody likes what
> linuxconf does, BUT they are afraid that since it takes over the boot
> process, it might make updating the rc.d scripts much harder.  Is this
> really the case?  Debian has been made to be easily upgradable (at least
> for the user, the maintainer of the packages might have some headaches
> building his packages :) ), so they just want to make sure the easy
> upgrade route will still be there.

Yes this is the case. Linuxconf is a major project. While currently most
"rules" are builtin, linuxconf now has a module concept. A module can take
control at different strategic place of linuxconf and even insert itself
in different menus.

Most "experienced" linux/unix user think that the SysV init script are
great. They are not. By far. They are just a bunch of scripts. No
intelligence. They are cheap to implement, and for most users, do not
exist. They often hide configuration information (they are scripts, so can
contain any recipies).

The basic principle of linuxconf (I suggest you read
http://www.solucorp.qc.ca/linuxconf/motivation.html) is that the quick and
dirty script won't do it anymore, now that we are getting to "mass
market". Scripts are good for in house feature, not for a "product".

So, now linuxconf is pretty monolitic, knowing different things about the
basic packages. I intend to introduce a rc.d like directory which will go
a little bit like this ...

Well, I have documented further and put it on the web. I suggest you give
a look at

http:/www.solucorp.qc.ca/linuxconf/principles/Welcome.html

This document is not complete, but the url pointing to a talk about
linuxconf and sysv script is more elaborate.

The basic concept behind linuxconf is this, and it is achieving this
today.

	"The user/admin never have to reboot"

You can dig in the different configuration file with vi or linuxconf or
whatever and a simple

	linuxconf --status

will tell you what have to be done and

	linuxconf --update

will do it. Further, anytime you quit from linuxconf (or use the update
change menu in the control panel), linuxconf goes through this checking.

Further, many component in linuxconf does some sanity checking will
checking if something have to be restart/reload/kill/whatever.

Anyway, I would be happy to discuss that further.

I am currently finishing the installation of the Debian system. I have the
base system working and I am currently pomping with dselect the rest of
the installation.

Talk to you later :-)

Jacques Gelinas (jacques@solucorp.qc.ca)
Linuxconf: The ultimate administration system for Linux.
see http://www.solucorp.qc.ca/linuxconf