Re: Red Hat Package Manager debianized

From: Christoph Lameter <clameter@waterf.org>
> 1. Run tgzinstall or rpminstall
>
> rpminstall -k -d XYZ
>
> This results in a package ready to be packed up into a .deb file.
> (-k keep intermediate version, -d dont install using dpkg)
>
> 2. Patch it
>
> patch <XYZ.patch
>
> 3. Build the debian package
>
> cd XYZ-Version
> debian/rules binary

Yes, that's what I was thinking of.

> The patching cannot do anything about the binaries.
> The only thing that it could do is rewrite control files or scripts
> in the package.

Right. The things we want to do to executables are for the most part
related to substituting pathname strings. It's easy if you don't make
the string longer, much more difficult if you can't make the change
in-place. It would take another kind of "patch" file and another flag
to do this. Aren't there binary patch programs that do this sort of
thing?

> To access the files in the package it has to refer to
> XYZ-Version/debian/tmp/filename.

Run patch as "(cd XYZ-Version/debian/tmp; patch) < XYZ.patch"
That way the patch text can be written to make reference to ./filename,
which is much cleaner.

> I could have tgzinstall or rpminstall take an options like
> rpminstall -p<patchfile> XYZ
> and it would then convert/patch/install the package using dpkg (same
> process as described above)
> Is that along the lines of your thinking?

Exactly.

	Thanks

	Bruce