Re: Standards for WebServers

On Mon, 28 Oct 1996, Mike Neuffer wrote:

> On Mon, 28 Oct 1996, Craig Sanders wrote:
> > > I personally would not like to rip the natural hierachie of the www
> > > structure appart into two pieces. I'd rather move the whole structure
> > > to /var/www/www
> >
> > I prefer /var/web for two reasons:
> >
> > 1. it's what we've already got - nothing needs to change
>
> /var/web in the current setup has one problem:
> If you have a user www where do you put his home directory ?

where do you put nobody's home directory?  or proxy or news or uucp?

the relevant spool directory (in /var) seems like the most appropriate
place to me. /home is the wrong place for system data. it's definitely
the wrong place for cgi programs.

but we've all been through this discussion at least once or twice
before. the last time was about 6 months ago i believe. it's obviously a
contentious issue.

> My structure implies that you have a www admin who maintains all the
> www files. From the security aspect this is important to do.
>
> It is only natural that this www admin has a www directory, which
> is the root directory for the www hierarchie that is visible to the world
> just like the users have a www directory which contains files that are
> visible to the outside world.

www is a system uid like news or proxy or uucp. Somebody might login
or su to www in order to do web maintainence, but it's not going to be
their primary account - it's a utility account for doing a specific
administrative job.

> > 2. it's easier/quicker to pronounce - important when you're helping
> > someone by phone.
>
> Maybe, but it is still the World Wide Web. BTW how many people operate
> their own WWW server ? Most people have a homepage on some machine and
> come never in touch with this.

running your own web server (and not being dependant on the policies of
your ISP) is one of the reasons for running linux.

> How much time do you need to pronounce "W W W" ? One second ? How long
> do you need for "web" ? Half a second ?

it takes more time to say "double-you double-you double-you" than it does
to say "world wide web".

"web" is much shorter and less prone to confusion on a 3Khz phone line.

> > BTW, what's "roxen"?  I haven't heard of it before.
>
> Check out http://www.roxen.com
>
> Roxen (formerly known as Spinner) is a GPL'ed WWW server.
> It is written in a lpc dialect called ulpc (or Pike in the latest
> version).

ah. ok, i looked at spinner about 18 months ago.  didn't seem terribly fast
back then...it must have improved a lot.

> PS: Sorry if the answer above sound a bit harsh, but I'm dead tired and
> will go home now and get some sleep.

's ok.

Craig