Re: Standards for WebServers

On Mon, 28 Oct 1996, Craig Sanders wrote:
> > I personally would not like to rip the natural hierachie of the www
> > structure appart into two pieces. I'd rather move the whole structure
> > to /var/www/www
>
> I prefer /var/web for two reasons:
>
> 1. it's what we've already got - nothing needs to change

/var/web in the current setup has one problem:
If you have a user www where do you put his home directory ?

My structure implies that you have a www admin who maintains all the
www files. From the security aspect this is important to do.

It is only natural that this www admin has a www directory, which
is the root directory for the www hierarchie that is visible to the world
just like the users have a www directory which contains files that are
visible to the outside world.

> 2. it's easier/quicker to pronounce - important when you're helping
>    someone by phone.

Maybe, but it is still the World Wide Web. BTW how many people operate
their own WWW server ? Most people have a homepage on some machine and
come never in touch with this. How much time do you need to pronounce
"W W W" ? One second ? How long do you need for "web" ? Half a second ?

> BTW, what's "roxen"?  I haven't heard of it before.

Check out http://www.roxen.com

Roxen (formerly known as Spinner) is a GPL'ed WWW server.
It is written in a lpc dialect called ulpc (or Pike in the latest
version).

It is one of the fastest freely available WWW servers and is very
configurable and easily expandable.

Up until now Roxen has not been marketed, because of that it is (compared
to Apache) virtually unknown. The FSF is using Roxen for their WWW server.

Mike

PS: Sorry if the answer above sound a bit harsh, but I'm dead tired and
will go home now and get some sleep.

Michael Neuffer                i-Connect.Net, a Division of iConnect Corp.
mike@i-Connect.Net             14355 SW Allen Blvd., Suite 140
503.677.2900                   Beaverton, OR 97008