Re: stability of non-free?

joost witteveen wrote:
:
: A lot of users seem to think packages in non-free are more stable
: than packages in unstable.
: How are the views from the other people in the debian team?
: Should packages in non-free be somehow more stable than
: the ones in unstable? And if so, how are the maintainers
: of non-free packages to ensure this?

For a long time now I wonder why contrib and non-free are out of stable
and unstable.  Shouldn't the structure be somewhat reorganized have
somewhat _like_:

        stable ---+---- free     (or supported, or ...)
                  +---- contrib
                  +---- non-free

        unstable -+---- free
                  +---- contrib
                  +---- non-free

    Heiko
--
email : heiko@lotte.sax.de heiko@debian.org heiko@sax.de
pgp   : A1 7D F6 7B 69 73 48 35  E1 DE 21 A7 A8 9A 77 92