Re: stability of non-free?

On Sat, 26 Oct 1996, joost witteveen wrote:

> A lot of users seem to think packages in non-free are more stable than
> packages in unstable.
>
> As far as I know, the only way we make the packages in buzz stable is
> by freezing them, and only adding bugfixes to buzz. This freezing out
> perioud is never applied to non-free, and therefor I (as maintainer)
> view non-free as equally stable as unstable.
>
> [...deleted...]
>
> How are the views from the other people in the debian team? Should
> packages in non-free be somehow more stable than the ones in unstable?
> And if so, how are the maintainers of non-free packages to ensure
> this?

I tend to ignore 'stable' - as far as i am concerned it's less stable
than 'unstable'.  Bug fixes appear in unstable a lot quicker than they
appear in stable...

I have two main policies regarding upgrading machines:

1. on machines that i can't afford any downtime on I only upgrade them
   when there's been little or no activity in my mirror logs for a
   few days and there haven't been any serious problems mentioned in
   the debian-* lists.

   they get upgraded maybe once every two months or so.

2. on other machines (e.g. my main workstation) which nothing crucial is
   dependant on, i'll upgrade when i have the time. if something goes
   wrong it will take me at most a few hours to fix.  Doing this not only
   keeps my workstations up to date, it allows me to trial the new stuff
   before it gets put onto any of the more important machines.

I know many people will disagree, but as far as i am concerned, 'stable'
is a waste of disk space. As soon as it's released (frozen) it's dead.
So I don't even bother mirroring it.

The only show-stopper i've discovered so far is samba.

samba 1.9.16alpha10-1 from rex is broken...when a windoze client
disconnects from the server something goes haywire and dozens of smbd &
nmbd processes are spawned, driving up the system load and bringing the
machine to it's knees.

samba 1.9.15p4-1 from buzz works fine.

so, samba is placed on hold with dselect until a new version comes along.

Craig