Re: stability of non-free?

> I tend to ignore 'stable' - as far as i am concerned it's less stable
> than 'unstable'.  Bug fixes appear in unstable a lot quicker than they
> appear in stable...
>
> I have two main policies regarding upgrading machines:
>
> 1. on machines that i can't afford any downtime on I only upgrade them
>    when there's been little or no activity in my mirror logs for a
>    few days and there haven't been any serious problems mentioned in
>    the debian-* lists.
>
>    they get upgraded maybe once every two months or so.
>
> 2. on other machines (e.g. my main workstation) which nothing crucial is
>    dependant on, i'll upgrade when i have the time. if something goes
>    wrong it will take me at most a few hours to fix.  Doing this not only
>    keeps my workstations up to date, it allows me to trial the new stuff
>    before it gets put onto any of the more important machines.
>
> I know many people will disagree, but as far as i am concerned, 'stable'
> is a waste of disk space. As soon as it's released (frozen) it's dead.
> So I don't even bother mirroring it.

I don't disagree.  These are precisely my feelings.  In fact,
everything you've said above is true for how I manage all our debian
boxes at work.  (Have you been looking over my shoulder?)  8)

> The only show-stopper i've discovered so far is samba.
>
> samba 1.9.16alpha10-1 from rex is broken...when a windoze client
> disconnects from the server something goes haywire and dozens of smbd &
> nmbd processes are spawned, driving up the system load and bringing the
> machine to it's knees.
>
> samba 1.9.15p4-1 from buzz works fine.

Again, absolutley true for us too.  The alpha10 version of samba is
_very_ broken.  It brought our main servers to their knees until I
reinstalled samba from buzz.

The alpha10 version of samba _should_not_ be shipped with Debian 1.2
and really shouldn't even be in rex.  Anytime spent in the smb
newsgroup will show you that alpha10 has significant problems that
the most recent version fixes.

Behan

--
Behan Webster     mailto:behanw@verisim.com