Re: does libc5.4.7 compatible with netscape 3.0

> Lawrence Chim writes:
> > Once I upgrade libc to 5.4.7-1, netscape cannot run and it said
> > bus error.  Then I downgrade to 5.2.18, netscape runs again.
>
> Lawrence reported this to me earlier.  I had not seen any problems at
> that time but am now.  Is anyone else having problems with libc 5.4.7
> and/or know of the fix?

Which netscape version is this? Every single bus error I ever had with
netscape (besides some buggy libc.so.5.3.*) was due to the fact that
the Xpm library changed internally from 4.6 to 4.7 or to the buggy
Java code in the series 3 netscapes (3.01b1 really is much better there).
As the Motif version Netscape is compiled with uses the older interface,
there will be problems with 4.7 (This move without changing major number
was really bad). Once I installed the old library (just for netscape's use)
and set LD_LIBRARY_PATH in a script calling netscape, I only got problems
with java. I'm just running netscape on some problematic sites and have no
problem at all.
As soon as I remove libXpm.so.4.6 from thee library search path (or
put it behind libXpm.so.4.7), I get the bus errors. I think that the new
libc just triggers the older bug far more reliable than the old
libc.so.5.2.18 which sometimes would run netscape even with the wrong
libXpm.

	Helmut