using dpkg to build a sanity check (was Re: Upcoming Debian Releasesu)

Is there a way to have dpkg scan every package and generate a list of all
things that appear out of place, are unnaccounted for, or are otherwise
installed incorrectly?

Ie;  when adding files, a subsequent removal of the package leaves behind a
directory with the added file because the added file doesn't appear in the
packages bill of materials.

I would like to be able to use dpkg to generate a summary of all things
wrong with the packaged environments on my system... including finding
things like add/removal problems such as the above and those described
throughout the recent and ongoing dselect conversation.

thanks,
b.bum