Re: using dpkg to build a sanity check (was Re: Upcoming Debian Releasesu)

On Thu, 24 Oct 1996 16:10:47 CDT Bill Bumgarner (bbum@friday.com)
wrote:

> Is there a way to have dpkg scan every package and generate a list of all
> things that appear out of place, are unnaccounted for, or are otherwise
> installed incorrectly?

I had written such an utility a little while ago. It's script, it take ages, but seems to work pretty good. It checks for file existence, modification (based on size), permissions and ownerships, and can eventually fix them.

It works pretty well except that it needs the .deb packages to get all this info (file size, perms, ownership). And it takes a night to check my complete debian install.
I hadn't had time to improve it, but you can find it under:
	ftp://ftp.fifi.org/pub/checkdebian

Phil.