Re: dpkg and file perms

Package: dpkg
Version: 1.4.0

dpkg deliberately doesn't set permissions on existing directories.
This should be documented, but isn't (I'll BCC this to the bug system
to remind myself to fix it).

Andy Guy wrote:
[...]
> So I checked them out by hand.  A simple fix would change this (line
> 75 in dpkg-deb/info.c change "mx" to "pmx").

You have fundamentally misunderstood the way dpkg installs things.
Please do not attempt to modify the source until you understand it
better.  Thanks.

>   However this would also
> allow a bad package to change the perms on "/" forinstance - not so
> good.  Not sure what to do but we should do something - otherwise
> there is no easy way to fix problems like this.

Fix it in the postinst of the package which had an earlier broken
version.

Ian.