Re: cfgtool 1.0 -- alea iacta est

On Mon, 14 Oct 1996, Lars Wirzenius wrote:

> You shall not do that. Fairlure to avoid doing so is punishable
> by SIGKILL.  Sorry. It restricts things too much. For example:
> I may some day support "inheritance", so that cfgtool reads
> /foo/etc/cfgtool.d in addition to /etc/cfgtool.d. This would
> allow us to share all configuration from an NFS server, but
> still customize some things for each host. I don't know if
> this is a good idea, but unless the only interface is the
> cfgtool program, we can't even try it.

What do you mean, you don't know if this is a great idea? It's an amazing
idea! It'd provide a painless way to manage a set of identical Debian
boxes. I'm sure the sysadmin of my EE dept. (where I'm finishing up
installed Debian on 20 Pentiums) will drool at the mere thought of
it.

I want it I want it...

   Christian

PS I hereby volunteer to write the program that will SIGKILL any process
attemtping to source the file or otherwise access it without going through
cfgtool. :-)