Re: Questions regarding the base system

From: Christoph Lameter <clameter@waterf.org>

> I would suggest getting rid of mbr in the base.
> It destroyed one of my bootsectors.

The installer, which uses "dd" or "cp" or "cat", did that, not MBR.
It is a simple fix to back up the boot sector as "LILO" does by using
the command "dd if=/dev/XXX of=/boot/XXX.bak bs=512 count=1".

Again, LILO should not go on the Master Boot Record if there is any way
possible to avoid that and put LILO on the partition. The "generic"
boot block or the "MBR" program is fine, just please don't put LILO
there. I am going by my experience with having LILO on the Master Boot
Record before we switched to using MBR - there were a lot more complaints
about not being able to boot other operating systems. We should not make
it necessary for Debian to take over your computer - lots of users don't
like that.

	Thanks

	Bruce
--
Bruce Perens, Pixar Animation Studios
*** "Toy Story" video tape in U.S. stores October 30 ***