Re: Questions regarding the base system

clameter@waterf.org said:
> liw>Linux users aren't Unix hackers. They must be taught at once that
> liw>logging in as root is exceptional.
> That is one of the aspects of
> the debian project that worries me. People are forced to behave the
> way you want them to although there might be valid reasons not to do
> as you force the user to.

> On all my systems that I have installed here on campus I later remove
> the user because the user interferes with NIS or is a security hole
> since the system should only be accessed in exceptional cases by
> system administration.

Just a thought here: Wouldn't it be possible to address this type of problem
with one or several `power user' support packages, which know how to undo some
of the newbie safety features? That way, the base system stays simple and
clean. And at the same time, we can support alternative, advanced
configurations? Some developments, like the Joost's nfsroot package or Lars'
cfgtool seem to lead more or less towards that direction.

			Cheers,
				Lukas