Re: Questions regarding the base system

> > > Why would the base system create a user?
> >
> > The installation program creates a user just after the system boots for
> > the first time. Note that this is not done from the installation menu
> > program, it's done by a script that runs when the system is booted after
> > it has been installed.
>
> Could the installation at least just ask for it? A lot of systems I install
> are going to run NIS, and don't need local users. I have to remove that
> user by hand every time which is a bit annoying

It would be fine for it to ask if root/postmaster mail should be sent to
a "remote" address rather than a local user, but can it deliver the mail
there before any other packages are installed? I don't think so. The
alternative is to send it into a black hole, which I'm not so happy with.

	Thanks

	Bruce
--
Bruce Perens, Pixar Animation Studios
*** "Toy Story" video tape in U.S. stores October 30 ***