Re: Questions regarding the base system

From: lists@lina.inka.de (Bernd Eckenfels)
>> Why is the MBR package in the base system? And why does lilo depend on
>> mbr?
> Lilo wont depend on it if i finish the liloconfig script soon. Then it will
> recommends mbr.

If you do this, please _ALWAYS_ use the "generic" MBR on the Master Boot
Record. Please do not install LILO there, keep LILO on a partition.
Otherwise, we lose the capability to switch active partitions from another
OS, and we get all of those "how do I remove LILO" questions again.

> BTW: there is a problem with the mbr istallation of the base disks.
> MBR wont backup the mbr in /boot/boot.0xxx.

You can fix this by moving MBR into /boot and having LILO install it.

	Thanks

	Bruce
--
Bruce Perens, Pixar Animation Studios
*** "Toy Story" video tape in U.S. stores October 30 ***