Re: cfgtool - new prototype with booleans, locking, language support

> > What happens if the variable already exists? (Think package update.)
>
> At the moment, it would cause an error (it's a prototype,
> I've never really used it...). It could easily be changed so that,
> for example, --set automatically creates the variable, if it
> doesn't exist already.

I changed the prototype so that --create silently does nothing if
the variable already exists. It does _not_ change the value, because
that would cause variables to be reset to defaults when packages
are upgraded.

I also added --list (list all variable names) and --exists (test
if a variable exists).

So, what do people think? Are we interested in this, and is
this a good way to solve the problem of moving configuration
information out of system scripts?

Some variables that might be created (based on my /etc/init.d,
/etc/cron.daily, and other things):

        boot.tmptime
                files at least this old (in days) are deleted from
                /tmp at bootup
        boot.sulogin
                start sulogin on console at boot?
        boot.delaylogin
                should (network) logins be disabled until boot
                process is finished?
        boot.cmos-is-utc
                is the hardware clock set to UTC?
        kerneld.options
                options to give kerneld upon startup/shutdown
        syslogd.options
                options to give syslogd upon startup/shutdown
        klogd.options
                options to give klogd upon startup/shutdown
        x11.run-xdm
                should xdm be started at bootup?
        x11.configured
                has x11 been configured?
        x11.run-xfs
                should xfs be started upon bootup?
        find.fs-include
                filesystem types to include when running updatedb
                (include everything, if this is empty)
        find.fs-exclude
                filesystem types to exclude when running updatedb
        find.path-exclude
                list of directories to exlude when running updatedb
        man.max-cache-read
                remove catman pages that have not been read in this
                many days
        man.max-cache-modified
                remove catman pages that have not been modified in this
                many days

This is just a quick suggestion, and needs discussion.