Re: Linux 2.1

> I was just wondering whether 2.0.21 had been succeeded by a newer patch ---
> and the answer is yes and no.
>
> No for a 2.0.x patch, but yes as the development of 2.1 has started on Sep 30
> with a 2.0.21-2.1.0 patch of 310 kB gzipped!!! Now, I haven't looked into
> Usenet in a long time, so have you heard what the kernel development is up to
> these days?  Are the goals of 2.1 public somewhere?

They are being discussed on the linux-kernel mailing list.  Thomas
Koenig posted a preliminary 2.2.0 wish-list two days ago.  Among the
items on it are: more modularized drivers, especially IDE drivers,
cleaning up the boot process, video mode awareness, threads, POSIX.6
security features, working shared memory, better signal handling,
better file systems, 32- and/or 64-bit major/minor device numbers,
STREAMS, IPv6, per-user CPU and memory quotas and other auditing,
Localtalk support, microchannel support, and a -lot- of other things.
I can forward you his post if you are interested.

> Anyway, as 2.0 seems to have converged (no patch since Sep 20), we might want
> to compile a new set of kernel-{image,source,headers}, bootdisks, pcmcia
> modules etc.

There is going to be at least one more 2.0 released, but I don't know
when.

We definately do -not- want to go to 2.1 yet.  One major change was how
kernel memory is managed, and that broke lots of device drivers.

> --
> Dirk Eddelb"uttel                             http://qed.econ.queensu.ca/~edd
>
> --

     Buddha Buck                      bmbuck@acsu.buffalo.edu
"Just as the strength of the Internet is chaos, so the strength of our
liberty depends upon the chaos and cacaphony of the unfettered speech
the First Amendment protects."  -- A.L.A. v. U.S. Dept. of Justice