Re: tcsh package

"Vadik V. Vygonets":
> Well, it's sure sacred, but I think it won't hurt much to put there
> one symbolic link, because if you have a network with linux boxen
> and other unices, say, Suns, FreeBSD boxen and SGIs, the sysadmin
> will probably set users' shells as /usr/local/bin/tcsh.

Using that logic, we must also make links for lots of other programs:

	bash
	rc
	es
	zsh
	python
	perl
	gawk
	mawk
	gcc
	gzip
	gtar

...to mention just a few. They're all likely to be used in many
important places and installed in /usr/local on many systems.

Add water, instant slogan dept.: Whenever reliability is
required, any argument using the word "probably" is suspicious.

> Or is it better to document it and the sysadmin will set the link himself?

Yes. Especially since lots of systems do not call /usr/local/bin
by that name. Many places call it /local or /usr/my-stuff or
something like that, partly because well-meaning installation
scripts make harmless-but-sometimes-disastrous changes
automatically.

After /usr/local has first been created during the first
installation, packages should leave it alone. We make an small
exception to packages that create /usr/local/lib/emacs/site-lisp
and similar directories, but that's not an excuse for more
exceptions. (And IMHO we shouldn't do even that, but I'm in a
minority on that one.)

People who administer large networks with many different
operating systems know what they are doing or learn it
quickly. Being helpful is OK, but it's better to keep things
clean (so that good local solutions are easier to integrate)
than guess badly.