Re: Proposal for a new installation boot concept

On Tue, 1 Oct 1996, Christoph Lameter wrote:

> I also thought about providing a way to install directly from a dos
> harddrive.
>
> Have a package debinst.exe that selfdecompresses a kernel, loadlin and a
> root image. A batch fires the stuff up and off you go. Never touch a
> floppy.

This is exactly what I think I need to overcome my problems installing
Debian on a newer IBM Thinkpad 560c.  No matter what I've done, the install
process fails when it tries to read the second floppy.  However, the IDE
controller and other hardware seem to be properly recognized.  In any case,
I would use this floppy-free method on _all_ my linux installations.  My
problem is that I lack the skills/knowledge to implement any of this myself.
I'll be happy to act as an alpha tester, or help in any other way that I can.

Syrus.