Re: My installation story

Stuart Lamble <lamble@yoyo.cc.monash.edu.au> notes:

| >- after pressing 'i' the dependencies are checked. problems with
| >  the dependencies are shown by the resolve-screen, just as
| >  nowadays, but without the help screen.
|
| I disagree. Dependancies (IMO) should not be
| checked until the user has said, "Ok, I'm done."
| At this point should the dependancies be checked,
| and problems presented to the user for
| resolution. This would be infinitely less
| intrusive (again, IMO) than the current setup.

I think that is correct:  In any constraint
management system, moving from one valid
configuration to another valid configuration
usually requires temporarily breaking the
constraints, and having the system ringing
alarm bells madly the whole time one is
attempting to set up the new configuration
is counter-productive and distracting.

E.g., I think attempting to switch from smail to
sendmail in a configured Debian system will
demonstrate this sort of problem?

But a window-pane unobtrusively showing remaining
constraints which need to be resolved in order to
achieve a viable configuration can be a help:
sort of a worklist/status-display.

| Just my $0.02.

That's about 2 yen? :)