Another installation story

For what it's worth, here's my wife's experience
over the weekend.  (She's in Austin, TX, I'm in
Seattle WA, making it hard for me to be a lot of
help, even if I weren't semi-clueless anyhow.)

  From sandy@home.actlab.utexas.edu  Mon Sep 30 23:46:58 1996
  Subject: Re: Debian not suitable for beginners

  Hi sweetie, forward this if it seems to help anything...

  Spent another fruitless day trying to get a successful linux installation.

  1)  Red Hat.  Red Hat proudly tells you that it will install directly
  from its CDROM, but it only recognizes IDE CDROMs.  My CDROM is SCSI.  So
  what happens is that DOS sees the CDROM just fine, starts the linux boot,
  Red Hat loads its kernel which does NOT recognize my (generic Adaptec)
  SCSI card, and bombs.

  2)  Red Hat II: Second Blood.  Red Hat will also install from its own
  boot-root floppies, which have SCSI drivers.  However, the drivers are
  broken.  End of installation.  Subsequent conversations with more
  experienced Red Hat thrashers indicates that there's a lot more broken
  than what I encountered.

  Red Hat Conclusion:  Back to the bookstore for refund.

  3)  Slackware.  Brian downloaded slackware onto floppies from the net.
  Slackware has a very nice package installer front end, but after
  completing an excruciating 14-floppy marathon install and configuration,
  Slackware did not recognize my (generic SMC) ethernet card.  I couldn't
  find any probes, drivers, further configuration instructions, or anything
  else that might provide a clue.

  Slackware conclusion:  Erase and re-use the 14 floppies for something
  worthwhile.

  4)  Debian.  This was my biggest disappointment.  I installed from the
  image of the debian CDROM on Cynbe's 1.6G hard drive, which is
  temporarily mounted in my machine.  The minimal debian system I first
  installed days ago found the ethernet card immediately.  Then I made the
  mistake of accepting the installer's suggested defaults for netmask,
  gateway, etc.  It turns out that debian does not calculate these defaults
  correctly, so the system couldn't see any farther than the cisco router
  down the hall.  I couldn't find a config script that would let me change
  the settings, so I changed the files in /etc/init.d as appropriate
  instead.  This broke the system irremediably.  Since then the system
  can't find the ethernet card, and any attempt to access the net causes
  the system to print a slew of process names, all of which report "Network
  unreachable".  Attempts to reinstall debian are useless...the card
  remains unfound, the network remains unreachable.

  OK, here's the weird part.  Even reformatting the root drive and doing a
  fresh installation does not cause debian to find the card.  The same
  messages appear.  *** And now they also appear when I attempt to
  reinstall slackware.***

  Checking the SMC card from DOS indicates that it's running properly and
  configured OK.  I can see the activity lights blinking, indicating that
  the card is seeing traffic on the subnet.

  The old debian boot floppy recognizes the card just fine, as always.  But
  once I boot from the hard drive the card's gone.

  Now this is probably not much of a mystery to you guys.  Obviously
  there's a driver that's not getting installed or an installed one not
  getting configured.  But there isn't a clue in the install procedures as
  to what I can do to go back and find, and install or configure, such a
  driver.  There's no provision in the install procedures for probing the
  hardware to find the ethernet card, even though I know the system has the
  capability to do so.  In fact the install script doesn't even mention the
  SMC card (it does mention 3Com), even though the boot floppy recognizes
  it with no trouble.

  There is a small possibility that the hard drive files from which I'm
  installing are corrupted, but I'm kinda used to getting nice little
  checksum messages when that happens.  Maybe linux doesn't check data
  integrity when it does disk reads, who knows.  And that doesn't explain
  why slackware has started giving the same errors.

  Speaking as a relative novice to linux installs, I find myself completely
  lost.  First off, while I admit that the install programs must be working
  for most people who use them and that I must be doing something wrong,
  the package installers on both slackware and debian appear to me to be
  insufficiently informative and frequently outright misleading.  I agree
  with what Ulrich von Bassewitz said about the debian front end in that
  posting Cynbe forwarded to me.  The behavior of dselect is unpredictable.
   Things happen that you didn't know you'd asked for, and other things
  happen that you didn't ask for at all.  The debian "novice" setting is
  helpful at first, but deadly if you have to install more than once --
  unless you have all night, since there is no way to bypass its media
  verification step; and with a 1.6G drive this takes nearly 30 minutes.
  The expert setting seems to omit some critical configurations but sent me
  back to the long, cumbersome net configuration sequence no less than
  three times during the installation process.

  If I'm going to depend on installer front ends, I think I'd expect
  something a bit clearer than any of the packages I've mentioned.  Like
  Ulrich, I add that this is not meant to be debian bashing.  But for those
  of us who are more than novices but less than experts, getting linux up
  and running is still a bloody mystery.  I could most likely do it from
  scratch in the old, pre-front-end style, but I simply don't have that
  much time to mess around any more -- I have to teach, write, and perform;
  I can no longer spend days and weeks happily hacking away at an operating
  system until I understand it thoroughly down to the level of the code.
  For now, I think linux still needs to be left to the experts.

  So for now it's back to my Mac, sadder but wiser.  It may be a black box,
  but it gets the mail every time.

  -Sandy