Re: NIS storms

From: Christoph Lameter <clameter@fuller.edu>
> - The group.byname database was completely read by other machines
> continuously.
> - The ypserv process was running most of the time and was not
> able to satisfy all those requests.
[...]
> How can we solve this issue? Perhaps we should go back to the old approach
> of putting users into one group?

It doesn't seem as if this is solving the problem.

This is also an issue for /etc/passwd, not just /etc/group. Look what
happens when you run "ls".

Many system managers eventually conclude that NIS isn't worth the trouble,
and they arrange to automaticaly distribute some of the files that NIS
would otherwise serve. Implementing a local cache of NIS queries would
help solve the problem as well.

	Thanks

	Bruce